Biosphere Biodegradable Plastic Additive
Colourmaster are the UK’s official Biosphere distributor. Contact us for details and enquiries.
BioSphere additive is a unique product that has been specifically designed to significantly accelerate the speed of biodegradation of plastics in landfill.
Independent testing shows it works in anaerobic (without oxygen) and aerobic (with oxygen) environments, which means biodegradation will take place in equally well in landfill, compost and marine environments.
How Does it Work?
Plastic with the BioSphere additive is very attractive to the microbes which are found naturally in landfill, compost, and marine environments. This increases the number of microbes present on the surface of the plastic by many millions.
Microbes naturally excrete enzymes. BioSphere additive reacts with these enzymes to soften the bonds of the polymer chain making it much easier for the microbes to digest the plastic.
With many more microbes present and a plastic which is easier for them to digest, biodegradation is accelerated to such an extent that it occurs up to 200 times faster. This means a plastic bottle which would ordinarily take 600 years to break down in landfill could be gone in as little as 3 years.
Key Features of BioSphere Additive
- BioSphere can be used in any normal plastic material.
- Plastics with BioSphere additive continue to be recyclable.
- Products still have a normal shelf life and can be used in day-to-day life without losing their normal properties.
- Discarded plastics will be broken down 200 times faster than similar plastic without the additive, leaving only water, biomass, and carbon dioxide – molecules that naturally occur during biodegradation of all organic materials.
- Plastics containing BioSphere do not leave any microplastics behind when they biodegrade.
- In landfill methane is also produced and this is frequently collected and converted into clean energy.
Did you know? New developments using BioSphere could qualify for UK R&D tax credits.